Thursday, December 8, 2022

We Are The Sprocket Holes vol. 559

 “I have a YouTube channel where people comment with nightmares they’ve had and I would recreate them,” he says. “The most commonly shared one was basically the same concept: ‘I’m between the ages of 6 to 10. I’m in my house. My parents are either dead or missing, and there’s a threat I have to deal with.’ I was interested in that because I have a vivid nightmare from that time, too. I thought it was amazing that almost everyone seems to have this dream, so I wanted to explore this thing. I just ran with it and turned it into a movie.”

The result? “Skinamarink,” a micro-budget horror feature that has been haunting the internet after a few key festival screenings. A savvy blend of traditional narrative and art film, “Skinamarink” is much more focused on atmosphere and sound design than actors or a dense mythology. With visuals that combine David Lynch’s low-fi style from “Inland Empire” with the aesthetic of dusty ’70s family movies pulled from the attic, it’s a claustrophobic hallucination that blends the scariest ideas from childhood into a dreamy, dreadful experience.


How ‘Skinamarink,’ a $15,000 Horror Movie, Became the Internet’s New Cult Obsession

No comments: