Friday, February 20, 2009

Breakfast Farts vol. 11

From Iltalehti.fi:




Former SENTENCED Guitarist MIIKA TENKULA Dead At 35 - Feb. 19, 2009

Miika Tenkula, former lead guitarist and main songwriter of the acclaimed Finnish band SENTENCED, was found dead at his home earlier today (Thursday, February 19). He was 35 years old.

Nalle Österman (GANDALF, LULLACRY, CHAOSBREED) tells BLABBERMOUTH.NET, "It's true, confirmed personally by [former SENTENCED] drummer Vesa Ranta.

"The fact remains that Miika had a serious drinking problem for many years which escalated after SENTENCED was buried. They don't call it King Alcohol for nothing...

"The metal scene in Finland mourns now for one of the most talented metal guitarists to ever emerge from [the country]."

The official cause of Miika's death has not yet been released.

SENTENCED's posthumous DVD, "Buried Alive", was certified platinum last year in the band's native Finland. The disc topped the official Finnish chart upon its release in late 2006.

The former members of SENTENCED were presented with the platinum award for "Buried Alive" on August 14, 2008 at Century Media Records' 20th-anniversary party at the Tavastia club in Helsinki where ex-SENTENCED singer Ville Laihiala's new band, POISONBLACK, and labelmates NORTHER and KIVIMETSÄN DRUIDI performed.

An e-card for "Buried Alive" DVD, which captures the Finnish band's final performance in their hometown of Oulu, Finland on October 1, 2005, can be accessed at this location. The e-card features a full mock-up of the DVD menu and a taste of "Buried Alive", including one full live song as well as snippets from all chapters.

Directed by Mika Ronkainen of Klaffi Productions, the two-disc set features the entire concert, including a special guest appearance by former SENTENCED vocalist Taneli Jarva.

SENTENCED's last-ever studio CD, aptly titled "The Funeral Album", entered the Finnish national chart at position No. 1 back in June 2005. The follow-up to 2002's "The Cold White Light" was recorded primarily at Finnvox and Tonebox studios (both in Finland), and mixed and mastered at Finnvox. Producing the effort was Hiili Hiilesmaa, who also worked with SENTENCED on the group's previous two albums, 2000's "Crimson" and "The Cold White Light".




The axe, the bottle and the rope
The feeling there really is no more hope
The thought of the great unknown
And facing it alone
The dark, the silent and the cold
The feeling I have come to the end of my road
Yes, these are the things I spend
My remaining moments with

And the wind blows through my heart
Shivers me one last time
As I now reach out in the dark
No one there

Why did it have to be so hard
For us to live our lives
Again I reach out in the dark in despair

The desperation and the snow
The feeling of finally coming back home
The melancholy and the hole in the soil so hard and cold

And the wind blows through my heart
Shivers me one last time
As I now reach out in the dark
No one there

Your love for me, my love for you
Things we somehow managed to lose
Now there´s only the ruthless wind
To blow right through
It freezes my heart, my desperate heart
It freezes my heart, my desperate heart
It freezes my heart, my desperate heart
To think we both will die alone

And the wind blows through my heart
Shivers me one last time
As I now reach out in the dark
No one there

No comments: