Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homework Sucks vol. 4



so, apparently Peter Steele is dead. for real this time.

Type O Negative was one of the many bands that introduced me to underground music back in the late 90s. I had initially written them off as boring synth goth for fat girls with invisible dad issues, but after further deliberation i found a band that was colossally heavy and deadly in its black humor, with vampiric tinges of the most morose goth. It was like Crowbar and Christian Death holding Candlemass in Fields of the Nephilim.

Brooding, Misanthropic, Fatalistically Romantic, Comically Suicidal, Tragically Hilarious. Peter Steele was all about the gallows and the pain/joy they bring out in the best and worst of all people and times. From his time in the barbaric crossover band Carnivore, morphing into the bleak gothic metal of Negative, Steelle always seemed to continue nuturing that nihilism to the breaking point, putting himself through real personal hells in order to come out on the other side with anthems of inner self/outer-self hatred. Yet despite the ferocity of both acts, i can't think of very many who could put together songs this infectious and catchy. I throw on these records, and they sound every bit as amazing as they did when i was 14-15 years old. so thick and rich. Peter Steele was one of those guys who pretty much laid out how i feel (for better or worse... but mostly worse) and articulated it better than i ever could.

i could go crazy posting video and mp3 and the like of all the Carnivore/Negative songs i like, but i'll instead implore that you all seek them out yourself. for now, this is one of my favorites from them.

off their 1999 album of the same name, here's "World Coming Down".



She thinks I'm iron man that I don't feel pain
I don't understand why joy must be feigned
I'm so fortunate yet filled with self hate
That the mirror shows me an ingrate

I could easily start pointing fingers
Since the blame is mine it always lingers
That the truth it lies in my reflection
Though this can't go on there's no question

Yeah I know
That my world is coming down
Yeah I know
I know
I'm the one who brought it down
Brought it down
Bring it on down

How quickly pass the days long is the night
Lying in bed awake bathed in starlight
Better to live as king of beasts
Than as a lamb scared and weak

I will deny my role as a human
Holding myself hostage with no demands
It's better to burn (to burn) quickly and bright
Than slowly and dull (and dull) without a fight

Well I know
That my world is coming down
Now I know
I know
I'm the one that brought it down
Brought it down
Yeah, Bring it on down


Rest in Hell.

2 comments:

yerktoader said...

I was sad to hear this as well, Type O Negative was a crossover band for me too. Haven't heard Carnivore yet, but Negative is one of those groups I keep coming back to every few years.

Man, a bunch of luminaries passed recently. Photography legend Jim Marshall, drummer Steve Reid, Jake Brockman of Echo & the Bunnymen late last year and producer Iain Burgess.

Did you know Steele converted to Catholicism? I hadn't heard that until I read the obits. Weird.

N. Casio Poe said...

Carnivore's Retaliation is a must. Post Apocalyptic Barbarian Metal brutality.